Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trick or Treat, Smell my feet, Give me something GOOD to eat!

Trick or Treat, Smell my feet, give me something good to eat!  

 When I was a little girl I grew up in West Virginia. My neighborhood was made up of three giant circular hilly streets and then there was the “top of Lyndale”. I never went trick or treating there because quite frankly it was so stinking steep that by the time you reached the top of the hill trick or treat would be over! That would only be about 25 houses. In Charleston to this day trick or treat is held the last Thursday of the month from 6-8 pm. If we trick or treated throughout the remaining part of the neighborhood we could hit almost 100 houses. That's a lot of loot!
 I would think that it would really stink if I spent hours trick or treating and then have it all taken away. Not even getting ONE piece of the delicious milk chocolate. 
Last year, before my youngest daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease I came up with a bright idea. Why not “buy” her candy from her and allow her to purchase something awesome instead of tooth rot! I wondered what would be a reasonable amount to offer her. I had a figure in my head and then went to the bargaining table. The youngest daughter loved the idea! I even got by on less than what I was offering. We agreed on a pack of pokemon cards and ten pieces of “legal candy” to be spread out, not consumed in one day! She was happy, I was happy and I know her dentist would have been happy. You might be wondering what “legal candy” consisted of for her. Having asthma she is not allowed any chocolate. Having ADHD she is also not allowed any red dye so that narrowed the list down quite a bit. She was happy to be able to eat skittles and starbursts. What a treat to eat contraband candy!
 
Halloween is once again upon us. I have wondered what is considered “legal” in the great big world of GF. By the way my DD has already asked if I will be “purchasing” her candy again this year. :0) I researched what is legal GF candy and came up with this link. I plan to give this list to my son’s teacher so she will know what can be given out for parties and rewards at school. I must tell you I cannot stand the thoughts of candy being given out as rewards at school, I am just sayin. For our son I plan to have a goody bag for him with legal candy.  He would not understand trading candy for money. He is just happy to get candy! Now we just need to decided where to get the best treats...





No comments: