Thursday, October 21, 2010

Super Easy Veggie Casserole

I started homeschooling 13 years ago. Golly has it been that long?! When we started homeschooling I joined our local homeschooling group. Once a month we would meet and share dinner. Afterwards the Moms would share what they were working on with their children. They were instrumental to those of us green behind the ear. I was so impressed with their passion homeschooling their children. Their love for God and sprinkling it through each days lessons. Over the years they became friends and my hero's.
Any who, there were several woman right from the very beginning I found most inspiring. Their homes were always spotless, children well mannered, laundry never piled high as Everest and severed 3 meals a day (from scratch) to their families. They made homeschooling look like a breeze.
One of those wonderful women is April Hager. April is an amazing woman. Her kids are so awesome, she cooks like a chef and is has impeccable taste in home decor. Just to name a few. :0)

It is my pleasure to have April as my first guest contributor! April recently shared the following recipe. It is GF and can be CF if you leave off the cheese she suggests to top the casserole with at the end. I have already put it on the menu for this week. I hope that you find it a blessing to your family table.
P.S. April asked me not to credit her for the recipe but her friend Sue. Thanks Sue!


A Super Easy Veggie Casserole

Lentil Rice Casserole by Sue Gregg

I always double this for our family:

Lentil Rice Casserole by Sue Gregg
3 C water (or broth or throw in a couple bouillon cubes)
3/4 C uncooked lentils
1/2 C uncooked brown rice
1/4 C instant minced oniion
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1/4 tsp oregano leaves
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Put all in a covered casserole dish and bake at 300 degrees for 2-2 1/2 hours until tender and water is absorbed.
Top hot casserole with grated cheese before serving.

I love serving this with steamed veggies and some sort of bread for a complete meal. Leftovers make great burritos the next day!

No comments: