Sunday, September 5, 2010

Soup weather already?


As I walked out on the deck to clean the grill for dinner this afternoon, I noticed the leaves are really starting to show signs of fall. I have tried hard to ignore that Seattle is going to have an early fall. The evenings are cool and sweatshirts are coming out in the daylight hours. Grilling dinner just didn't feel right. Thoughts of a warm bowl of cabinet soup danced on my tongue. 

The last few days Joseph has been begging for meatballs. Truth be told I have never made them. Sad I know. But I get so grossed out squishing meat with my hands! My poor deprived husband has rarely in almost 28 years been served meatloaf. I think this is a good thing.


To appease Joseph and my hankering for soup, I came up with the following. I must tell you I impressed myself! The soup was yummy as were the meatballs. I even had left overs to freeze for Joseph's lunch later this week. 
Oh my golly, summer really is over! Time to get back into busy schedules, lesson plans, and chili!
Hope you find cabinet soup helps you on one of your busy days. :0)
~blair


Cabinet Soup with Meatballs
1 Trader Joe's Garden Melody Soup
2 Pacific Vegetable Stock
1 large sweet onion
6 garlic cloves
1 bag of carrots
1-2 bunches of kale
2 tbsp olive oil 
2 tbsp dried parsley
3 tbsp dried ginger
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp red pepper flakes


Sauté onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil. When onions are half way cooked add garlic and carrots. While veggies are cooking, add both stock and soup to a large pot. Add spices and bring to a simmer. Once veggies are cooked add to soup.


**Do not discard oil. This will be used for meatballs. 



Meatballs
1 lb of ground turkey
1 cup of GFCF bread crumbs
2 eggs beaten
1/4 c shredded carrots
1/2 tbsp Sea Salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp parsley
4 tbsp olive oil

Add everything together. Tip: place ingredients in a ziploc bag and squeeze it all together. Then dump in to a mixing bowl. Meatballs should be the size of thumbnail. Add olive oil to oil used to sauté veggies. Cook meatballs until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Once drained add to soup. Cook and additional 10 mins. Will add depth to soup.
**My older daughter added Daiya mozzarella cheese on top of her soup and said it made it ever more yummy! :0)

No comments: