Sunday, September 26, 2010
Apple-Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
If only there was cybersmell. You too could be basking in the smell of cinnamon, baked apples, and brown sugar. The aroma is intoxicating! I am so excited that my family will awaken to the welcoming warm yumminess. Other than the smell of a warm coffee cake on the week-end there are not many other ways I would like to awake. The smell of fresh rain on a summer morning or the sweet sea air of Hawaii comes to mind but that is another blog!
The Apple-Brown Sugar Coffee Cake really quite easy. I find using brown rice flour adds a hint of nutty flavor however pecans or walnuts would be a welcome ingredient. One word of warning: be careful with the type of apples you use. Some apples have a higher moisture level. Using golden delicious apples will alter the moisture content completely. Enjoy! ~blair
Apple-Brown Sugar Cake
1 cup + 2 tsp of brown rice flour
¼ tsp zanuthum gum
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup of brown sugar- divided
¼ cup mini chocolate chips (enjoy life)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs @ room temp
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup of canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 large apples
· Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan or spring form pan.
· In a small bowl, toss 2 tsp of flour, ½ cup of brown sugar, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and nuts. Set aside
· In a large bowl combine flour, xanthum gum, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt.
· Wisk eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to flour mixture till smooth. Do not over mix.
· Pour ½ of batter into greased cake pan.
· Pour ½ of apples and brown sugar-chocolate chip mix on top of the batter.
· Place remaining matter on top, creating a layer.
· Repeat with batter, brown sugar-chocolate chip mix and apples.
· Bake 45 minutes.
· Make sure that when a toothpick is inserted in the center it comes out clean. Cake will be very moist.
· Allow cake to cool on a wire rack in the pan.