Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pasta Salad

I love how with each holiday we have certain dishes that are a must to complete the holiday menu. If I deviate from the standard meal there will be a nose out of joint trust me! Fourth of July is no different. Our standard menu is like most: hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled corn, pasta salad and s'mores or red, white and blue cake.


 

Now all I need to is convert this meal so it is GFCF. These were no brainers:

Hot dogs~ Hebrew Nation.

Hamburger use organic meat or the leanest meat I can find.

Morning Star garden burgers

Corn, local and organic

Heinz ketchup is GFCF

This year we roasted marshmallows. Marshmallows are GFCF (if you have any doubt, marshmallows can be rinsed to remove the cornstarch/powdered sugar. Then place on a drying rack till they are no longer damp. These will be extremely sticky!

 
 

Converting my pasta salad was easier than I thought. For the dressing I always cracked open a bottle of zesty Italian dressing, add some lemon juice and if it was too dry a little olive oil. This year rather than buying a bottle of dressing I made my own Italian dressing. That was easy. Why had I never done that before? I took my pasta salad to Northshore Special Families cook out and everyone raved. They could not believe it was gluten-free! Remember buy local produce as often as you can. The sky is the limit with what vegetables you include more the tastier


 

**~Oh, on a side note: Wishbone dressings are celiac friendly.

 
 

Pasta Salad

 
 

Gluten- free pasta

red peppers

green peppers

yellow peppers

orange peppers

carrots

cucumbers

tomato

broccoli

cauliflower

salt

pepper

parsley flakes or fresh


 

dressing ingredients


 

Cook pasta according to manufactures direction. While the pasta is cooking chop those veggies. Drain pasta. Allow the pasta to completely cool, otherwise it will start to cook the veggies when added. Mix veggies and pasta adding marinade from the artichoke hearts. Add lemon juice, olive oil, and Italian dressing. Season to taste with salt, pepper and parsley.

 
 

Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. This salad is actually better the next day but it never makes it that far.

Enjoy! ~blair

No comments: