Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blackberry Dumplings

Berries are a staple in our freezer. I love to rescue over ripe berries knowing that this winter we will greatly appreciate their extra sweet flavor in muffins, breads, pancakes, and smoothies.

I recently scored an excellent sale on blackberries. Almost every week for the past month now I have been able to bless my family with fresh overloaded blackberry muffins or warmed to pour over top of pancakes. Today while I was at the grocer I found strawberries 10 clam shells for $10. There are now 10 containers in my freezer and 5 in my fridge to nibble!

The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman has a recipe for blackberry dumplings that has made me drooling to try. The recipe is simple to follow. As per usual I made a few changes! I mixed strawberries in with the blackberries. I found that the finished product was way too sweet. I used coconut instead of cream.

Once again Bette delivered. I must admit that I had my doubts for the dumplings but they were wonderful! They did not cook up like say a chicken dumpling would. So do not be surprised if they do not raise very high.
I hope that you will be adding this recipe to your yummy list. :0)
Happy cooking!
~blair

Blackberry Dumplings

Sauce
1 quart of fresh or frozen berries
1 C of water to barely cover berries
1 1/2 C of sugar or to taste
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Dumpling
2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp earth balance
1 egg
1/3 C almond milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 C brown rice flour
1/3 C potato starch (NOT FLOUR)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt


Place the berries, sugar and lemon juice in a 4-quart pan. Bring to a gentle boil while making dumplings.

In a separate bowl mix almond milk and lemon juice together. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes allowing the milk to have a souring effect.

In a mixing bowl cream sugar and shortening. Add egg slightly beaten. Alternating with the almond milk add sifted dry ingredients. Do not over beat. The dough will be fairly stiff.

Drop 8 small teaspoons of dough on top of the boiling fruit sauce. Cover, simmering for 20 minutes without peeking!

Serve hot in small bowls with fruit sauce spooned over dumpling. Top with cream, whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 8 servings. Enjoy!

No comments: