Sunday, May 30, 2010

Pancakes


It seems that there is a theme going on here at our family table. Last time it was chocolate chips cookies. Now it is breakfast foods. Well, I did admit breakfast had been boring lately. Saturday mornings usually mean pancakes. Our day is slower and there is more time to cook to order~within reason. Meat, no meat, agave, or berries.

With it being a long week-end I decided it was time to venture into another recipe. This time it was pancakes. They are so light, portable, and versatile. My family can eat them for any meal.

Bette Hagman's, my guru, recipe for pancakes called for powdered buttermilk. No can do but Bette to the rescue. She suggested to use yogurt. In doing so it resulted in rave reviews from the family. My dear husband, who is fighting GFCF all the way for himself, did not even realize that the pancakes were GFCF. Yippee!!

I did alter ever so slightly the following recipe. Rather than the buttermilk powder, berry soy yogurt. I decreased the amount of water. I can not give an exact measurement on this~sorry. I added enough water to make the batter smooth. Instead of Bette Hagman's personal recipe for GF flour mix I substituted brown rice flour. To give the pancakes a little nutritional extra punch I add flax seed.

These panackes were so wonderful that we did not feel that they needed powdered sugar or agave. I think some warm berries would have been an amazing topping. Next time you need to slow down or get the chance, make someone you love pancakes. You will be glad you did~so will they.

Happy eating!
Blair
Pancakes

1 C rice flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 carton soy fruit yogurt
2 tbsp canola oil
enough water to make batter pancake consistency

Sift dry ingredients together in mixing bowl. Add yogurt to dry ingredients. Beat eggs, add oil an water. Beat until batter is smooth, but do not over beat.

Drop from a mixing spoon onto a hot greased griddle an cook until the top is full of tint bubbles and the underside is brown. Turn and brown on other side. Makes ten 4-inches pancakes. Recipe can easily be doubled.

No comments: