Monday, September 12, 2011

Vegeterian Ratatouille

My Mom LOVED Martha Stewart! She loved trying her fancy menus, create her holiday tables and decorations. No holiday was too small to make grand! 
I never thought I would be one to read a Martha Stewart magazine. However, I absolutely love the Martha Stewart Whole Living magazine. Thanks to Frugal Girls I was able to snag a free year subscription.
The September issue is all about super fruits and late summer veggies. Flipping through the pages I came across this beautiful picture of an absolutely divine looking dish. I knew that I wanted to cook it for dinner tonight! So off to the grocery store for the wonderful ingredients.
This dish was so simple to make. The cooking time was forever! Not really, an hour but it smelled sooo darn good while baking. Hope that you enjoy this vegetarian ratatouille. I served the ratatouille with fresh green beans and sweet potato fries, spinach salad and fresh peaches for desert. According to my daughter Heather, my vegetarian in residence, "It rocks!"
For some reason there was a month delay in posting this recipe and for that I apologize. I think it was because summer finally came to Seattle and it was just too darn pretty and warm to stay in and cook! Add to that Heather heading back East, Joseph getting ready for school and sheer laziness.
Now that cooler days are on the horizon, the trees are beginning to warm up for their brilliant color show, now is a better time to share with you. It would be so easy to short cut the prep by dicing everything the night before. Remember to stick your potatoes in water so that the will not turn color. When you get home put it together, pop it in the oven, While it is baking you have time to go through the backpacks, snuggle with the one you love, throw in a load of laundry, or just unwind. Sounds great to me!
On a personal note, I miss my resident "vegetarian". She is in her own kitchen creating her own wonderful dishes while at Grad School in West Virginia. <3
May your table be bountiful!
~Blair

Vegan Ratatouille
 2tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow squash, sliced thinly
1 medium Yukon Gold potato, thinly sliced
Sea Salt
Black pepper
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, divided
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp dried basil, fresh would be better of course~
3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil over medium, cook the onion until it is tender and golden. About 6-8 minutes. Add garlic to onions and continue for about a minute.
Lightly oil the bottom of a 9 X 13 dish. Layer onions and garlic on the bottom of dish. Sprinkle 1 tbsp thyme and basil on the onions. Layer squash, tomatoes and potatoes. Make sure to over lap veggies. Season with sea salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley. (Add Parmesan Cheese if so desired) Lightly drizzle olive oil of veggies.

Bake covered for 30 minutes. Bake the remaining 30 minutes uncovered until golden brown. (total cooking time 1 hour.

Note:
* I think the next time I make this I am going to parboil my potatoes. For my taste the potatoes need to cook a tad longer. The other veggies were perfect.


Saute onions and fresh garlic.

Leaving skin on potatoes as wonderful nutrients, texture, and vitamins.

Place garlic and onions in the bottom of your dish. Layer potatoes, squash and tomatoes on top.

I only had 2 tomatoes, really needed 3.

So colorful.

I drizzled a little oil, parsley and extra garlic and onions.

Ready for the oven.


Oh my golly I wish you could smell this! But hey you can. Make it for your family today.

No comments: