Friday, September 2, 2011

Crumb Top Coffee Cake

I love the look on my children's faces when they wake up and smell luscious yummyness in the air. It just seems to start the morning off right. Their tummies are happy. This in turn makes them happy and we all knows what that means...Momma is happy!
I cannot believe I have not shared this wonderful coffee cake recipe! This was my recipe I ever converted to Gluten/Casein free. Spread a little love and make someone's tummy happy!

Crumb Top Coffee Cake
1 1/2 C    Brown rice flour (adds a bit of nutty flavor)
1/4 C       CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE oats
1 C          Brown sugar
1/2 C       Earth Balance (stick)
1 1/2 tsp  Baking powder
1 tsp         Cinnamon
1/2 tsp      Salt
2/3  C       Almond Milk (rice milk can substitute)
1               Egg, beaten

Combine the sugars, oats and flour, cut in earth balance until it resembles course crumbs. (I use my hands to mix, I think it is easier than to "cut" EB in with knives.) Reserve 1 C for topping. Add baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat egg and mix with milk. Add to dry ingredients just until moist.
Por into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan; sprinkles with reserved topping crumbles. Bake at 375 degrees, 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!

Notes:
* Instead of flour I use brown sugar, Gives cake a nice crunch on the outside.
* If you are using a dark pan or dark glass pan reduce the heat to 325 degrees. You might need to bake a    few minutes longer.
* this recipe can be made omitting oats. No change in the rice flour amount.
* I have made these into muffins. check at 20-25 minutes depending on how fast your oven cooks.
* I have mixed it up a bit and added 1/3 C of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
* Peanut Butter and smashed banana's are a great side dish.
* 1/2 C pecans or almonds can be added. Takes this coffee cake to the next level!
May your table be bountiful!
~b






No comments: