I cannot believe I have not shared this wonderful coffee cake recipe! This was my recipe I ever converted to Gluten/Casein free. Spread a little love and make someone's tummy happy!
Crumb Top Coffee Cake
1 1/2 C Brown rice flour (adds a bit of nutty flavor)
1/4 C CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE oats
1 C Brown sugar
1/2 C Earth Balance (stick)
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
2/3 C Almond Milk (rice milk can substitute)
1 Egg, beaten
Combine the sugars, oats and flour, cut in earth balance until it resembles course crumbs. (I use my hands to mix, I think it is easier than to "cut" EB in with knives.) Reserve 1 C for topping. Add baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat egg and mix with milk. Add to dry ingredients just until moist.
Por into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan; sprinkles with reserved topping crumbles. Bake at 375 degrees, 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!
* Instead of flour I use brown sugar, Gives cake a nice crunch on the outside.
* If you are using a dark pan or dark glass pan reduce the heat to 325 degrees. You might need to bake a few minutes longer.
* this recipe can be made omitting oats. No change in the rice flour amount.
* I have made these into muffins. check at 20-25 minutes depending on how fast your oven cooks.
* I have mixed it up a bit and added 1/3 C of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
* Peanut Butter and smashed banana's are a great side dish.
* 1/2 C pecans or almonds can be added. Takes this coffee cake to the next level!
May your table be bountiful!