Friday, July 5, 2013

Rice Crispy Treats

I cannot remember the first time I ever had a a rice crispy treat. But I am sure it was quite wonderful experience! When our children went GFCF, Emily worried about the fun food she would no longer be able to eat. The first yummy I made for them was GF rice crispy treats. I must admit the cereal I used was less than desirable. :0(   But i kept trying using different cereals over the years.

The other day my BFF Janet called to let me know that she had found Kellog's GF Rice Crispy cereal mark down. Did I want any? Um, yes! She scored 3 boxes! I was so excited!

The exchange occurred at a family baby shower. Oh my goodness it was so hot that day, 95 degrees in Seattle is just down right mean. 95% of Seattle folks do not have a/c in their homes.ous included, I DO NOT DO HEAT. Around 11 pm it was finally below 85 degrees. Emily asked if it was cool enough to make rice crispy treats because she could not wait! I made her wait till in the morning. After all it could count as breakfast right?! :0)  Holy cow were they good! Tasted just as I had remember. The kids were soooo excited.

Enjoy~Blair Lynn

      

GLUTEN FREE DAIRY FREE RICE CRISPY TREATS

6 C GF Rice Krispies
3 TBSP Earth Balance 
1 bag of mini marshmallows or 10 oz. of large marshmallows

In a large sauce pan melt earth balance on low. Add marshmallows, stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

Add cereal and coat until well covered.

Using a buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan coated with cooking spray or earth balance. Cool. Cut into squares or shapes.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In a microwave-safe bowl heat earth balance and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave times may vary.

No comments: