Sunday, November 6, 2011

Crock pot Applesauce

Our new house has nice back size back yard and is surrounded by ...surprise, evergreen trees! Our neighbors on the other hand have been blessed with red and transparent apple Trees. My neighbor across the street, Pat, shared some of her transparent apples. Oh my golly, they made amazing applesauce! I had never made applesauce before, holly cow was it easy and yummy.

I took half of the batch camping with us over labor day with our friends the Smyer Family. Rebekah served a massive amount of eggs and bacon to feed the masses. (Between her family and our there were 12 in all.) I served my apples as a side dish. Everyone thought it was apple pie filling! The large mason jar was empty before the bacon was all gone! :0)

Our next door neighbor, Heather, has 2 types of apples, red and transparent. After I asked about her if I could have some of her apples, She thanked me for reminding her she needed to make applesauce and preceded to pick them all. :0(

A week later because of family issues she moved. Heather told me to help myself to her apples and I have! She thought the red ones were crab apples because they were so small but they are not. The red apples did not make very good applesauce I am sad to stay. I did skillet fry some this morning and they were OK. I was not satisfied with them so I used the apples to make a Brown Betty. This was better but I do not think I would use them again. The next step I think will be the dehydrator I got off Freecycle and have yet to use. Sounds like an excuse to try it out.  The apples are super hard so apple rings strung in the basement is out.


I know I am rambling and whining about these apples! I am very happy we have been blessed with apples. The children are thankful because I am cooking again. :0) Not so much though with all the chopping.

May your table always be bountiful.
~blair

CROCK POT APPLEASAUCE


12-14 apples of your choice
1 C apple juice
1/2 salt
Cinnamon
sugar in the raw or brown sugar

NOTE:
The apple measurement is NOT approximate. I filled my crock pot to the top. It might take more or less for yours.

No comments: