Friday, January 21, 2011

Quinoa, the other breakfast cereal

Little man's favorite 3 bears book!

Our son has been on a porridge kick! It may have something to do with the fact that one of his all time favorite story is Goldilocks and the 3 bears! You think?!

As far as I am concerned porridge (aka oatmeal) is an amazing cereal. It is rib sticking and packed full of good stuff. I had been hesitant to serve him oats but so far it does not seem to bother him. Never the less, I do limit his porridge consumption to once or twice a week.

I’ve wanted to provide an alternative hot breakfast rather than eggs, french toast and pancakes. Little man use to eat Cream of Rice but stopped when he developed sensory issues with food a few years back. At the present time this seems to be subsiding. Yea!! Maybe in another month or two I will be able to reintroduce this to him.

Little man LOVES rice! He could eat it all day. When I serve it for breakfast I add almond milk, honey and cinnamon.

This morning I had some quinoa left over on the stove from last night’s dinner. Little man saw it and asked for it. I thought what the heck, he eats rice for breakfast occasionally why not quinoa?  He loved it so much he had 2 bowls!
Enjoy~ blair

Breakfast Quinoa

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup rinsed quinoa
1 dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
1 dash salt
1 squeeze of honey (optional)

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a light boil. Lower heat, cook for about 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. If you like add a squeeze of honey.

No comments: