Sunday, June 24, 2012

Corn Dog Muffins


The other day while grocery shopping. Em looked wistfully into the deli case at the corn dogs. "I sure do miss eating corn dogs." Now, I am sure there is a recipe out there that is GF/CF but dealing with a deep fyer, the mess and what not is really of no interest to me!

So, while making chili today, because in Seattle we have JUNE-UARY! (aka freezing in June) I got to thinking about what Emily said. When I was making cornbread muffins (you cannot eat chili without cornbread don't you know!) I thought why not added some hot dogs to the cornbread muffins! Oh my goodness~the kids flipped out! This is definitively going on my menu rotation!  

MMMMM, just out of the oven.

While I was waiting on lunch, I cleaning the kitchen I jumped on Pinerest. Doesn't everyone use Pinterest for fun waste of time inspiration? I found this pin! See I knew i was not re-inventing the wheel on this one. What a darling way to serve corn dog muffins. Of course I would use a mason jar! I was out of craft sticks, so I stuck them on their serving fork, boring I know. I see a Holly Lobby Dollar Tree trip in my future. :0)




Kid tested, kid approved!
May your table be richly bountiful~Blair


Cornbread
Preheat oven to 400 degree F
1 C white rice flour
2/3 C stone-ground cornmeal * I grind by cornmeal a little finer. My family does not like the texture.
2 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C PLUS 1 tbsp earth balance (divided) * see below
2 beat eggs
1 C almond milk (reserve 1/4 C of almond milk to rinse out magic bullet after pureed corn!)
1 can of whole kernel corn
i package of Hebrew Nation Hot Dogs, cut into 1/3 pieces

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl and set aside.
Puree corn in magic bullet to desired consistency. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, pureed corn, milk and melted earth balance. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients stirring until just moistened. If it is too thin sprinkle a pinch or two of cornmeal until desired consistency. Place a hot dog piece into each corn muffin. Bake 15-20 mins. Use remaining tbs spoon of Earth balance to dot muffins after cooking.
* Note this last step can be omitted.

No comments: